Monday, January 31, 2011

No new ideas

I called the Lyme doctor's office, and she called me back between appointments. Unfortunately, she didn't have any viable alternative to amoxicillin to suggest. She didn't want me to increase the dose of amoxicillin, since it's already making me ill; however, at this low dose, it's questionable whether it will be useful for treating the dental problems. She wanted me to try taking the probenecid again in a half dose, but I politely declined -- twice -- citing hives. When that didn't work, I just refused. If she prefers to think I have an inexplicable prejudice against probenecid, rather than a legitimate allergy, that's okay with me. Everything I learned in immunology told me that it's not a smart idea to take additional doses of a drug after you have had an allergic reaction to it. Hives = allergic reaction, so no.

I woke up multiple times again last night. I have had a headache since I started taking the amoxicillin on Friday. I also developed a full-blown yeast infection over the weekend. Oh -- and, of course, my teeth still hurt. Result: I am now cranky cubed. I think I'm going to discontinue the amoxicillin for now. I have an appointment on Monday with a possible alternate Lyme doctor, so I will ask her about it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment